Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 3/4 cup (90g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7g) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (227mL) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (119mL) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (30mL) McCormick® vanilla
- 1 cup (227mL) coffee, warm
Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 months until ready to use.
When ready to bake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans.
Whisk milk, oil, eggs, coffee and vanilla in a large bowl until well mixed and slightly frothy.
Add the dry mix and whisk until just barely combined and smooth, about 50 strokes. (do not over mix)
Divide between the prepared cake pans.
Bake until set and slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Let cool in the pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack right-side up to cool completely.